Extreme mountain missions 44km and 25km options.
Based on Mt. Difficulty, Cromwell, New Zealand.
The premise is it’s a mountain trail ‘run’ of either 25km or 44km distance. The reality is some sections of the ascent are between 40-50′. We also have a 200m section with a set rope in part of the decent, mostly to keep you on course but also as a safety requirement from a legal perspective. If that’s making you uncomfortable already, good, this event is not for everyone – we have a much more benign Marathon or Half Marathon event The Rustic Run/Walk (on the same day, same start/finish) or come back in summer for the BIG EASY.
If you are ‘as excited as all-hell!’ Great – keep reading.
This is an ADVENTURE RUN folks, the ‘adventure’ part means you cant run all of this course. The ups are really UP! You’ll be hands on knees, puffing just to walk, at times you will be using your hands to help you scramble up some dirty, rocky slopes, maybe churning through snow…
Pre race registration: Race pack pick-up, gear check and main briefing will be held at the Mt Difficulty Winery, Bannockburn, Cromwell on the Friday prior between 5pm-8.30pm. Briefing at 7.30pm. Make a weekend of it, if you need accommodation there are plenty of great options in and around Cromwell.
Race start 8am
- No headlights required – sun will just come up as you’re starting the first major climb.
- Course descriptions for the 44km and 25km can be found HERE
- We get a lot of repeat questions about this race – they are covered HERE
- You can find a link to the GPX maps – HERE
- small day backpack
- rain jacket – it can be just a ‘shell’ but it must be seam-sealed waterproof
- merino or thermal long sleeve top
- extra fleece/mid weight wool top (250 – 300+ gram)
- long thermal tights or trousers (compression leggings are not acceptable/ waterproof over-trousers are acceptable) Poly-prop or merino are the norm
- warm beanie or Thir Band! (Multifunctional headwear)
- warm gloves
- survival /bag
- own snacks, gels, energy bars, nutrition etc
- water bottles/bladders – enough to carry 1 litre of water and/or Tailwind Rehydration
- gaiters (optional but recommended)
- Sturdy shoes with good grip on dirt, mud, rock, snow.
Thermal means the garments have heat retention qualities. ‘Moisture wicking’ by itself will do nothing to keep you warm in this race. Leggings and compression gear that does not have Thermal qualities will not be accepted. You can still ware your compression leggings – but you’ll have to carry a pair of Thermal ones as well – and depending on the day you may well start out with both on. We will be doing rigorous gear checks on the Friday at registration. If you’re not sure if your garment is up to the specifications please go into a good outdoor shop with staff who actually do a lot of hiking or climbing and ask them for advice.
See this link here – this is what you need or better!